Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LINDSAY TANNER'S REPLY TO MANY EMAILS

Thanks to all who wrote to Lindsay Tanner encouraging him to concur with Jenny Macklin's recommendation.

Here's his response:

16/06/2008, at 11:02 AM, Tanner, Lindsay (MP) wrote:

Dear _ _ _ _

Thank you for your email in support of Ms Dawn Rowan, requesting that I waive her debt to the Commonwealth.

I am aware of the history and circumstances of Ms Rowan's case and that a number of representations have been made on her behalf both to the previous Government and this Government.

There are a number of steps still to be undertaken before I can make a decision with respect to Ms Rowan's waiver request, including provision of advice from the relevant Government agencies and from Ms Rowan herself. Upon receipt of this information, I will be in a position to make an informed decision.

I appreciate your concerns and thank you for raising this matter with me.

Yours sincerely

Lindsay Tanner

*****

Rowland's comment: My instinct is that we now leave this with Mr. Tanner and (for those of you who pray) with God. The chances of a waiver? All we can say is that it would not be in the Government's interests for two of its ministers to publicly differ on this matter!

No comments: